Upcoming Conferences and Events
These announcements provide information about the conferences that will be held in the summer of 2014.
The Texas Assistive Technology Regional Conference
June 10-12, 2014
Location: Region 4 Educational Service Center, Houston, Texas
This conference is sponsored by the Texas Assistive Technology Network (TATN) and the Texas Education Agency (TEA). Assistive Technology enables students with disabilities to access the curriculum, increase independence, and participate actively in education and life activities. Presentations from national, regional and local AT practitioners are featured as well as an exhibit hall.
Introduction to Active Learning
June 18, 2014
Location: TSBVI James C. Durkel Conference Center, Austin, TX
Presenters: Outreach Staff
Time: 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM
This special one-day introduction to Active Learning will provide basic information about Active Learning for individuals who have never attended other Active Learning training. This training is highly recommended for these individuals before going to the 2014 Active Learning Conference that will be held on June 19-20, 2014.
2014 LID Active Learning Conference
June 19 – 20, 2014
Location: Ben Hur Shriners Event Center
7811 Rockwood Lane Austin, TX 78757
Presenter: Patty Obrzut, Director, Penrickton Center for the Blind, Michigan
This conference will provide strategies and resources for teachers and paraprofessionals who serve students with low incidence disabilities (i.e. severely cognitively disabled, medically fragile, and/or deafblind). Motivating and inspiring an individual with special needs to engage in their environment can be challenging. This year’s conference will delve deeper into Active Learning theory and ways to implement this approach for those individuals who have been able to participate in the introductory level events of the past three years.
AER International Conference: Moving into the Future
July 30, 2014 – August 3, 2014
Location: Grand Hyatt on the River Walk
(located at 600 East Market Street, San Antonio, TX 78205), San Antonio, TX.
The International Conference focuses on learning, experiencing, sharing, and cutting edge technology. More than 800 professionals and practitioners will be in attendance, ranging from Educators, Vision Rehabilitation Therapists, Orientation and Mobility Specialists, Low Vision Specialists, University Preparation Professionals, to vendors and parents.
This year’s conference will include:
- Opening presentation from country singer Ronnie Milsap
- An exciting celebration of AER’s 30th year anniversary
- Keynote speakers on Recreation for Life, current technology and Non-24 Hour Sleep Disorder
- “Learning Labs” to provide hands-on training in UEBC, iPad use, symbols and meaning, and more
- Dozens of division tracks focusing on field-specific areas
- A vibrant Exhibit Hall, featuring vendors and products critical to your work
- Countless opportunities for connecting and networking with hundreds of colleagues
- Opportunities for the CEUs you require for certification and credentialing
- Tours of the San Antonio Lighthouse for the Blind
- In-person training for Chapter and Division officers (AER LIFT)
- A wonderful evening hosted by the AER Texas Chapter