(South Texas Mexican Cookbook p.62)
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 pkg. yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cup milk
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 5 cups flour
- Mix warm water and yeast in electric blender, until thoroughly mixed.
- Blend in remaining ingredients except 3 cups flour.
- Put dough in large bowl. Cover and let stand in warm place about one hour.
- Add remaining flour.
- Knead into soft dough.
- Cover, let rise until double in bulk.
- Punch down and store in plastic bag in refrigerator.
- Roll out thick. Cut triangularly or equilaterally.
- Heat oil to 400 degrees.
- Fry until golden. Serve piping hot with butter or honey or sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
Dough may be kept in refrigerator for two weeks. Makes 8 dozen.