- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 cups bouillon*
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1½ lbs. raw shrimp
- 1¼ cups canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon gumbo file
- ¼ cup water
*Bouillon is an unsalted strong beef-stock-can use beef broth
- Melt ¼ cup butter in large skillet. Add pepper, onion, celery and garlic. Sauté until tender.
- Place bouillon, salt and pepper in a 2-quart saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add shrimp. Bring to a boil again. Boil only for 5 minutes.
- Remove shrimp and store in cool place.
- Add sautéed vegetables and tomatoes to bouillon; bring to a gentle boil.
- Prepare roux by mixing the 2 tablespoons butter in pan over medium heat. Stir in flour and stir until flour is smooth and dark brown. Slowly add roux to vegetables. Stir until blended.
- Simmer one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Combine file with water. Stir into vegetables; add shrimp, heat only until shrimp is hot.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
Makes 7 cups gumbo.