Easy Pork Chile Verde
- 2 (7-ounce) cans green chile salsa
- 1 (7-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1-½ lbs. Boneless pork shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 lb. canned tomatillos or *fresh tomatillos
- 9 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, halved and cut into ¼-inch slices
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro or parsley
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 bunch green scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 dozen warm flour tortillas
- Turn a 4 or 6-quart electric crockery-cooker on high-heat setting while preparing ingredients (unless prepping the night before).
- Add salsa, chilies, pork, tomatillos, garlic, carrots, potato, and onion to cooker. Mix thoroughly.
- Cover and reduce heat setting to low. Cook 10 hours without removing cover.
- Stir in salt and cayenne.
- Serve with tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, sour cream, and warm tortillas, as accompaniment.
*Note: If using fresh tomatillos, peel off papery skin and halve tomatillos.
(365 EASY ONE-DISH MEALS P.148)