Skip to main content
Independent Living Search
Caldo De Pollo (Chicken Soup)
South Texas Mexican Cookbook p.20
- 4½-5 lb. stewing chicken, cut up
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon mixed spices (peppercorn and cumin)
- 1 cup carrots, sliced circles
- ¼ cup celery, diced
- 2 cups potatoes, cubed
- 1 garlic clove
- tomato, chopped (optional)
- In 4-quart Dutch oven combine chicken, water, salt and spices. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Serve with Tortilla De Masa or Tortillas De Manteca.
Serves 6 to 8.