Skip to main content
Independent Living Search
Beef or Chicken Stroganoff
(365 EASY ONE-DISH MEALS #83 p.60) This dish is a classic. Serve over noodles or steamed rice.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
- 1 pound boneless top sirloin steak
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup dry sherry
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1-½ Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Trim all excess fat from steak and cut meat diagonally across grain into thin strips.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over high heat.
- Add half of beef and cook, tossing 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove to a dish.
- Repeat with remaining oil and beef.
- Add butter to skillet and, when melted, stir in mushrooms and scallions.
- Cook, over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add sherry and boil 2 to 3 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Combine beef broth and cornstarch and blend well.
- Add to skillet and cook, stirring, until mixture boils and thickens.
- Stir in sour cream and mustard until blended.
- Return beef to skillet and heat through 1 to 2 minutes, but do not boil.
Serves: 4 to 5.
- Substitute 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast halves.
- Cut into thin strips, for beef sirloin.
- Use ½ cup chicken broth in place of beef broth.