Apple Banana Pancakes
Preparation time: 15 minutes; Cooking time: 10 minutes
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons applesauce
- 2 teaspoons apple juice concentrate
- 1¼ cups low fat milk
- 3 egg whites
- 2 overripe bananas, mashed well
- Non-stick cooking spray
- In a bowl combine all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine applesauce, apple juice concentrate, milk, egg whites, and bananas. Stir well.
- Add flour mixture. Stir until smooth. (Pancake batter thickens as it sits. If you do not immediately cook the pancakes, or if the cooking time extends over a period of time, you may need to thin the batter with a little more milk as you cook each batch.)
- Coat a large, well seasoned or non-stick skillet with cooking spray.
- Heat skillet over medium heat until hot.
- For each pancake, spoon ¼ cup of batter onto skillet. When bubbles form on top of pancakes, after about 1 to 1 ½ minutes turn them over.
- Cook until bottom of each pancake is golden brown. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings (12 pancakes – 3 per person)