POSITION: Teacher Aide II-III
DEPARTMENT: Comprehensive Programs
POSTING #: 23-013
TWC JOB ORDER #: 15675582
MONTHLY SALARY: Depending on Qualifications (Minimum: $2,940.00)
SHIFT: Monday – Friday 7:15 – 3:45 or hours as assigned
OPENING DATE: 11/4/2022
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
CLASSIFICATION / GROUP #: 0813, 0814 / A11, A13
Ways to Apply
Essential Job Functions
- Maintains familiarity with health and instructional information regarding assigned students, and adheres to those specifications when implementing programming.
- Cooperates with other staff in implementing the instructional program for assigned students.
- Informs teacher of all significant events or changes related to students in classroom.
- Assists in the assessment of student needs as requested by teacher.
- Assists teachers in preparing IEP progress reports, behavior plans and other documentation for program monitoring.
- Participates in ARD and team meetings for students as required.
- Monitors, implements effective programming for, and documents student behavior in a prompt manner as required by teacher.
- Continues professional growth and development, including participating in all assigned in-service training.
- Utilizes effective teaching techniques and classroom strategies to accommodate the various learning styles and modes of students.
- Monitors the safety of students.
- Interacts and responds with verbal and non-verbal blind or visually impaired students.
- Attends work regularly in accordance with TSBVI leave policy.
- Complies with all agency policies and procedures.
- Performs related work as assigned.
Teacher Aide II:
- High school graduation or equivalent.
- Completion of two years (60 hours if institution considers 15 hours/semester as full-time or 48 hours if institution considers 12 hours/semester as full-time) coursework from an accredited college or university [Original college or university transcript(s) required at time of interview]
OR one-year full-time experience working with children with disabilities plus one year of college plus a passing score on a local or state paraprofessional assessment**
OR two years’ full-time experience working with children with disabilities plus a passing score on a local or state paraprofessional assessment
** If the applicant selected for the position has not passed a local or state assessment, the applicant will be offered the position contingent upon passing the TSBVI paraprofessional assessment administered during the interview.
- Must receive TEA certification as an Instructional Aide III (at your own expense) within 6 months of beginning employment.
- Must know or be willing to learn advance sign language (for certain assignments)
- Must have sufficient physical strength to assist in lifting and/or transferring students up to adult age.
- Ability to communicate, receptively and expressively, through both sign language and oral speech, or just oral speech, with ASL fluent and non-signing staff and students.
- Good writing and data collection skills.
Teacher Aide III: (Teacher Aide II qualifications PLUS):
- Two years full-time experience as a Teacher Aide II at TSBVI with an overall rating of exceeding expectations on last performance appraisal.
- Four years of external classroom experience as a teacher or teacher aide
- Assists with training and mentoring other TAs.
- Intermediate Sign Language Proficiency: Able to discuss with some confidence routine social and work topics within a conversational format with some elaboration; generally, 3-to-5 sentences.
- Completion of college level coursework in child development, education, psychology, vocational or closely related field.
- Experience working with students with multiple impairments.
- Ability to be approved to drive state vehicles.
- Familiar with Braille.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.