POSITION: Instructional Specialist: Residential
DEPARTMENT: Comprehensive Residential
POSTING #: 23-048
TWC JOB ORDER #: 15990697
MONTHLY SALARY: Based on AISD pay scale using education and years of experience
SHIFT: Monday – Friday 11:00am – 8:00pm
OPENING DATE: 5/3/2023
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
CLASSIFICATION / GROUP #: T021 / n/a
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Cooperates with classroom teachers and residential instructors in planning and implementing the instructional program for the students assigned.
- Works with classroom teachers, residential instructors and other team members in identifying and solving problems related to his/her students in school, dormitory, and community environments.
- Diagnoses and assesses student needs to determine instructional goals and objectives, with focus on the expanded core curricular skill areas of Independent Living; Recreation and Leisure; and Social Interaction.
- Completes Present Levels of Academic and Functional Performance; Individualized Education Program goals and objectives; and reports progress for assigned students in coordination with residential instructors.
- Utilizes teaching techniques and strategies to accommodate the various learning styles and modes of his/her students and models these for residential instructors.
- Assists residential instructors in planning and designing schedules and instructional activities.
- Trains residential instructors to ensure that required modifications and accommodations, including necessary low vision aids and other tools to access the environment, are utilized by students in residential and community settings.
- Assists residential instructors in the selection of programs, equipment and materials to meet the needs of his/her students.
- May conduct or assist with Learning Media Assessments and Functional Vision Evaluations and other assessments for assigned students.
- Be willing to obtain Mandt Trainer Certification.
- Provide regular and on-going staff development support to groups of Residential Staff. This may require occasional work on Sunday afternoons.
- Performs assignments effectively related to all department and school policies and procedures.
- Promotes positive relations through effective communication and involvement with family, appropriate agencies, and community members to meet individual student needs.
- Utilizes positive behavior support techniques to assist students in learning.
- Assists with student crisis interventions related to behavior as needed and assigned.
- Continues professional growth and development.
- Attends work regularly in accordance with TSBVI leave policy.
- Complies with all agency policies and procedures.
- Performs related work as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university [Applicant selected for hire will be required to submit a copy of all college or university transcripts].
- Must have Texas Special Education EC-12 certification.
- Must have or be willing to obtain Teacher of Students with Visual Impairments supplemental certification within a specified period of time.
- Experience working with children with visual and multiple impairments.
- Texas Family and Consumer Sciences certification.
- Texas English as a Second Language certification.
- Skill in using sign language.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Master’s degree in education of students with visual impairments or related field.
View More Job Postings
TSBVI updates job postings regularly with new and exciting opportunities.View All Job Postings