WORKING TITLE: Charge Nurse
DEPARTMENT: Health Services
POSTING #: 22-070
TWC JOB ORDER: 15332245
MONTHLY SALARY: Salary will commensurate with experience
SHIFT: Evenings; Sun-Thurs 1:45pm – 10:15pm
OPENING DATE: 6/2/2022
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
CLASSIFICATION / GROUP #: 4413 / B23
Ways to Apply
Essential Job Functions
- Provides nursing care to students referred or admitted to the Health Center; administers medication and treatment.
- Conducts physical and psychosocial assessments of students.
- Serves as shift charge nurse for the shift to which the Nurse III is regularly assigned.
- Assists in carrying out regular nursing shift duties relating to health care delivery, record keeping, and maintaining health center operations.
- Reports regularly to supervisor on Health Center operations and student health conditions.
- Ensures that proper procedures are followed relating to medications, doctor’s orders, supplies and records.
- Implements instruction to students to foster knowledge of their medical needs and to increase self-responsibility for their own medical regimens.
- In the absence of Health Services supervisor, implements contingency plans under conditions that preclude normal operations.
- Trains new staff in performance of duties.
- Conducts medical history interviews with prospective students and families as required.
- Updates “medical alert” lists and distributes to appropriate staff.
- Ensures timely completion of physician’s orders.
- Facilitates completion of health service referrals from school staff.
- Participates in ARD and team meetings as assigned by supervisor for those students with health problems.
- Notifies parents and appropriate school staff of student health conditions and obtains informed parental consent for treatment when necessary.
- Assists supervisor in evaluating performance of LVNs.
- Ensures proper and timely communication of medical information to necessary staff.
- Schedules students for physician clinics and provides assistance to physician during assigned clinics.
- Assists in treating, photographing and filing reports on all incidents of accidental injuries or suspected physical abuse of students.
- Attends work regularly in accordance with TSBVI leave policy.
- Complies with all agency policies and procedures.
- Performs related work as assigned
- High school graduation or equivalent.
- Graduation from an accredited school for Registered Nurses.
- Current Registered Nurse license from the State of Texas [Copy of license required at time of application].
- Five years full-time experience as a Registered Nurse.
- Knowledge of nursing techniques and procedures.
- Pediatric, psychiatric, and/or school health experience.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Skill in using Word and Excel software applications.
- Good clinical skills and experience.
- Good communication skills and clinical supervisory experience.