POSITION: Cook IV
DEPARTMENT: Food Service
POSTING #: 23-051
TWC JOB ORDER #: 15990792
MONTHLY SALARY: Depending on Qualifications
SHIFT: Monday – Friday 6:00am – 2:00pm (needs to be flexible)
OPENING DATE: 5/15/2023
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
CLASSIFICATION / GROUP #: 8119 / A11
Essential Job Functions
- Adhere to all TDA, USDA, school district, health department, TSBVI regulatory rules and procedures.
- Reviews daily menu; calculates quantities of food to prepare; assembles ingredients; cooks, bakes, or prepares salads following sanitary food preparation guidelines; monitors and records temperatures during preparation; and checks food items for taste and appearance.
- Receives stock; assists in maintaining an accurate inventory; puts up food and supplies on shelves and dates them; rotates stock as necessary; and identifies food and supplies to be ordered.
- Prepares regular and modified diets from the student care summary report for daily and weekly menus.
- Sets up serving line and serves meals to students and staff.
- Assist with kitchen clean up duties when time permits.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, friendly working relationships with students, staff and the community.
- Must be able to take orders directly and carry out those orders accurately and produce the highest quality of customer service.
- Attends work regularly in accordance with TSBVI leave policy and procedure.
- Complies with all agency policies, procedures and handbooks.
- Performs related work as assigned.
- High school graduation or equivalent.
- Two years’ full-time experience as a cook in a school or related food service environment.
- Skill in reading and writing English.
- Skill in computing basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to understand, remember and apply oral and/or written instructions or other information.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Knowledge of large quantity food preparation techniques and procedures.
- Skills and knowledge of basic recipe conversions and calculations to convert measurements.
- Must be able to work in a kitchen atmosphere, including lifting and moving medium to heavy pots and pans of food.
- Food Handler’s Card from Travis County Health Department.
- Obtain their Serve Safe certification and Managers certificate within 90 days of hire.
- Work in kitchen environment where temperatures are sometimes high.
- May be exposed to cold and freezing temperatures.
- Must be able to work around equipment producing steam and hot temperatures.
- May be exposed to strong smells from food products.
- May be exposed to intermittent sounds of a loud nature.
- Move about on wet or slippery floors.
- Needs to be able to move kitchen and food supplies up to and including 50 pounds regularly.
- Needs to be able to move around kitchen and cafeteria to prepare food in an expeditious manner.
- Must be able to stand in stationary position for sustained periods.
View More Job Postings
TSBVI updates job postings regularly with new and exciting opportunities.View All Job Postings