POSITION: Bilingual Teacher Aide
DEPARTMENT: Comprehensive Programs
POSTING #: 24-010
TWC JOB ORDER #:
MONTHLY SALARY: Depending on Qualifications, $3,467.00 minimum
SHIFT: Monday-Thursday, 7:15am-4:00pm; Friday 7:15am-2:45pm
OPENING DATE: 10/10/2023
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
CLASSIFICATION / GROUP #: 0813, 0814, 0815 / A13, A15, A17
Ways to Apply
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintains familiarity with health and instructional information regarding assigned students, and adheres to those specifications when implementing programming.
- Cooperates with other staff in implementing the instructional program for assigned students.
- Informs teacher of all significant events or changes related to students in classroom.
- Assists in the assessment of student needs as requested by teacher.
- Assists teachers in preparing IEP progress reports, behavior plans and other documentation for program monitoring.
- Participates in ARD and team meetings for students as required.
- Monitors, implements effective programming for, and documents student behavior in a prompt manner as required by teacher.
- Continues professional growth and development, including participating in all assigned in-service training.
- Utilizes effective teaching techniques and classroom strategies to accommodate the various learning styles and modes of students.
- Monitors the safety of students.
- Interacts and responds with verbal and non-verbal blind or visually impaired students.
- Attend work regularly in accordance with TSBVI leave policy.
- Comply with all applicable security and safety rules, regulations, and standards.
- Perform related work as assigned.
Teacher Aide II:
- High school graduation or equivalent
- Completion of two years (60 hours if institution considers 15 hours/semester as full-time or 48 hours if institution considers 12 hours/semester as full-time) coursework from an accredited college or university [Original college or university transcript(s) required at time of interview]
OR One-year full-time experience working with children with disabilities plus one year of college plus a passing score on a local or state paraprofessional assessment**
OR Two years’ full-time experience working with children with disabilities plus a passing score on a local or state paraprofessional assessment
** If the applicant selected for the position has not passed a local or state assessment, the applicant will be offered the position contingent upon passing the TSBVI paraprofessional assessment administered during the interview.
- Must receive TEA certification as an Educational Aide III (at your own expense) within 6 months of beginning employment.
- Must know or be willing to learn advanced sign language (for certain assignments).
- Must have sufficient physical strength to assist in lifting and/or transferring students up to adult age.
- Ability to communicate, receptively and expressively, through both sign language and oral speech, or just oral speech, with ASL fluent and non-signing staff and students.
- Good writing and data collection skills.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
Teacher Aide III (Teacher Aide II qualifications PLUS):
- Two years full-time experience as a Teacher Aide II at TSBVI with an overall rating of exceeding expectations on last performance appraisal
- Three years of external classroom experience as a teacher or teacher aide
- Assists with training and mentoring other Teacher Aides
Teacher Aide IV (Teacher Aide II qualifications PLUS):
- Certification as a Spanish-English interpreter
- Certification by the Texas State Board for Educator Certification in special education or degree in special education
- Completion of college level coursework in child development, education, psychology, vocational or closely related field.
- Experience working with children and youth with disabilities in a classroom or work setting.
- Experience working with students with multiple disabilities.
- Approved to drive state vehicles.
- Familiar with Braille.
- Completion of training related to students with visual and multiple impairments.