TSBVI logo | Home | Site Search | Outreach | See/Hear Index |

Fall 2001 Table of Contents
Versión Español de este artículo (Spanish Version)

What Does This SBOE (State Board of Education) Rule Mean?

By Jean Robinson, Family Specialist, TSBVI, VI Outreach

89.1096. Provision of Services for Students Placed by their Parents in Private Schools or Facilities

(d) Parents of an eligible student ages 3 or 4 shall have the right to "dual enroll" their student in both the public school and the private school beginning on the student's third birthday and continuing until the end of the school year in which the student turns five, subject to the following.
(1) The student's ARD committee shall develop an individualized education program (IEP) designed to provide the student with a FAPE in the least restrictive environment appropriate for the student.

(2) From the IEP, the parent and the district shall determine which special education and/or related services will be provided to the student and the location where those services will be provided, based on the requirements concerning placement in the least restrictive environment set forth in 34 CFR, 300.550-300.553, and the policies and procedures of the district.

(3) For students served under the provisions of this subsection, the school district shall be responsible for the employment and supervision of the personnel providing the service, providing the needed instructional materials, and maintaining pupil accounting records. Materials and services provided shall be consistent with those provided for students enrolled only in the public school and shall remain the property of the school district.

These provisions state that when two-year-olds leave ECI programs, their parents and school districts have the option of considering alternative settings to the Preschool Programs for Children with Disabilities (PPCD) classrooms. Typically, your child's peers don't attend a PPCD class unless they have a developmental delay. Therefore, the natural environment for your child may be a Parent's Day Out at your church, a Head Start or Early Head Start program, a private nursery school, or a child care facility. Your child can receive vision services, along with other special education services, in this alternative setting. Your child does not have to attend a school setting five days a week, but you can consider a combination of PPCD and private child care. Many toddlers with low vision or blindness benefit from playing with their typically developing peers. The child care staff can receive disability-specific training and materials if needed.

CCMS (Child Care Management System) provides funds for low-income families if a parent is actively working, in training, or attending school. This community-based program is funded by the Texas Workforce Commission. You must contact your local child care facility or local Texas Workforce Commission office to apply for CCMS funds.

| Fall 2001 Table of Contents | Send EMail to SEE / HEAR |

Please complete the comment form or send comments and suggestions to: Jim Allan (Webmaster-Jim Allan)

Last Revision: July 30, 2002