Why Become a VI Professional? - Descriptive Slides
Click on an image below to view the full-size slide or right-click to save to your computer.
- VI and O&M Preparation in Texas (Updated January 2016)
- Typical Roles and Responsibilities of VI Professionals
- University Directory for Programs in Visual Impairments
- Texas Fellows are recruiters! Texas Fellows have helped people find this field and to become a VI professional. Texas Fellows and their candidates are recognized for a year. Becoming a Texas Fellow is easy.
- Texas SenseAbilities newsletter (formerly See/Hear),
- At all statewide TSBVI functions
- and receive a either one of TSBVI's most popular publications or free registration to SWOMA or Texas Focus!
- Texas Fellows Application (Word or PDF)
- Texas Fellows Flyer
Individuals are assigned a mentor when they are hired by a school district as a TVI or COMS. The mentor relationship continues through the protégé’s practicum/internship period and extends one year beyond certification as a VI professional in Texas schools.
PPAG Materials (Professional Preparation Advisory Group)
- PPAG is 15! (PDF 617k)
- PPAG Summary May 11, 2010
- PPAG Meeting Summary November 11, 2008
- PPAG Meeting Summary November 2005 (rtf, 133k)
- Collaborative Professional Preparation in Visual Impairments (white paper)
- PPAG Meeting Summary Nov. 2004
- Summary of Data Analysis from Nov. 2004 PPAG Meeting
- Statement of Need
- 2015 Summary of Need for VI Professionals in Texas (docx, MS-Word 334kb)
- 2014 Summary of Need for VI Professionals in Texas (MS-Word 959kb)
- 2013 Summary of Need for VI Professionals in Texas (MS-Word)
- 2012 Summary of Need for VI Professionals in Texas (MS-Word)
- 2011 Summary of Need for VI Professionals in Texas (MS-Word)
- 2010 Summary of Need for VI Professionals in Texas (MS-Word)
- 2009 Summary of Need for VI Professionals in Texas
- Cultural Diversity and Professionals in Visual Impairments: A review of activities in Texas
- Summary of Need for VI Professionals in Texas 2008
- Summary of Need for VI Professionals in Texas 2007
- Summary of Need for VI Professionals in Texas 2006
- Need for VI Professionals: Results of a 2005 survey of special education administrators in Texas
- Summary of Need for VI Professionals in Texas 2004
- The Activities Checklist for O&M Mentor/Protege Teams
- The Activities Checklist for VI Mentor/Protege Teams
For more information about any of these programs
- Financial Aid Information Page
- Becoming a Teacher in Texas
- VIP Home Page - SFA - Visually Impaired Program Information from Stephen F. Austin State University
- Reach Across Texas Home Page - TTU - Visually Impaired Program Information from Texas Tech University.
- Virginia Sowell Center Home Page - The Virginia Murray Sowell Center for Research and Education in Visual Impairment is an opportunity to continue the work begun by Dr. Virginia Sowell at Texas Tech University in Visual Impairment. It is designed to include an annual Distinguished Lecturer Series on the topic of visual impairment. The Center will eventually offer scholarships to students participating in the Visual Impairment, Orientation and Mobility, and Dual Sensory degree and certification programs. The Center is also designed to support faculty research and public service. Still in its infancy, the Center is evolving on a daily basis.