Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired (TSBVI)
Announcements & Current Events
- 08/27/2015 The 5th Annual Bring Your Boss To Work Week is November 9-13, 2015 and details are now available.
- 08/25/2015 The Texas Unified English Braille Transition Plan has been released.
- 8/24/2015 Experienced braille display users wanted in the Washington DC area September 12th.
- 8/18/2015 2015 APH Customer Satisfaction Survey for U.S. Department of Education Deadline: Sept. 19
- 8/3/2015 VI Tech Boot Camp - This session is designed for Teachers of the Visually Impaired and Orientation and Mobility Specialists who want to learn and review current technology. Only a few seats left! Log in to eCampus to register today.
- From the Washington Post, WebAIM Launches "Teaching Accessibility" site in observance of the 25th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- TVI and TVI types - here's an opportunity to give feedback about tools and technologies used on a daily basis (and perhaps earn a reward for doing so) by filling out a survey from Pearson.
- Registration for the 2015 Getting In Touch With Literacy Conference is open!
- Navigate Life Texas - This website is especially for families and parents of children with disabilities or special health-care needs and is designed to offer support, inspiration, resources, and links to services available.
- Avancemos Juntos Texas - Este sitio Web es para padres de niños con discapacidad y necesidades especiales de salud y su fin es el de ofrecerte el apoyo que necesitas, proporcionarte los recursos necesarios para cuidar a tu hijo y a inspirarte en este camino que estás recorriendo.
- It's coming. The new Braille Code the US is adopting begins making news.
- 2015-2016 School Calendar in Word and PDF formats.
- Sordoceguera_Información en Español
Recent Additions to the Site
- 06/22/15 2014-15 Comprehensive Programs Community and Student Engagement Report
- 06/12/15 TX SenseAbilities Spring 2015 Articles available in audio (mp3) format!
- 05/11/15 New/Changed Guidelines for Federal Quota Fund Usage (APH materials)
News of Interest
- Charlotte Brown, legally blind pole vaulter, accomplishes her goal of winning a medal in the UIL State Track and Field Meet.
- In January President Obama signed into law the Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) Act to provide financial support to people with disabilities and their families.
- TSBVI math instructor Scott Kelley was among the nearly 10,000 classroom teachers, mathematics educators, mathematicians and researchers who attended the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics 2015 Annual Meeting and Exposition in Boston in mid-April to share ideas and network about effective mathematics teaching and learning. He was interviewed by “The center of Math Blog” about his job.
- Is Braille Obsolete? This story, produced by Ryan Kailath with input from TSBVI student Demetria Ober, Superintendent Bill Daugherty, and staffers Kay Pruett, Robert Pierson, Kodie Montgomery, and Carrie Clark, addresses smartphones and technology changing life in the blind and blind education community. It was broadcast on New York NPR station WNYC twice on March 25, 2015.