GENERAL APPLICANT INFORMATION: The State of Texas Employment application is required in order to apply for any open position. You may obtain the application by (1) applying in person in our Human Resources (HR) Office, (2) contacting the HR Department to request an application by mail, email or fax, or (3) downloading the application instructions with Criminal History Authorization (52 k) and application (468 k) . Please read the instructions very carefully before applying; they contain valuable information about the application process and tips on what type(s) of information to put on the application.
Please Note: The "Instructions" file contains an additional form entitled "Criminal History Authorization Form", which MUST be submitted along with your application. The applications are accessible and have Word Macros for better functioning with screen readers. If you are not a screen reader user, please ignore the information about macros.
TSBVI participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Applications are accepted in person Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., or they may be returned by regular postal mail, e-mail, or facsimile, as long as they are received by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. Resumes are accepted in addition to the application but will NOT be accepted in lieu of the employment history section of the application, so please complete all sections in full.
The job postings for all current openings are located in the HR Office. The closing date for each position indicates only the minimum length of time a vacancy will be posted. Positions may remain open beyond the closing date if the hiring department has not received a sufficient number of applications. Some positions are posted internally for five days before they are offered to the general public. If you are interested in a position that is posted for current employees only, we encourage you to check our website again after its closing date to see if the position has been made available to all applicants.
The Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Listings by Job Title
DEPARTMENT: Short-Term Programs
POSTING #: 17-0028
MONTHLY SALARY: Based on AISD pay scale using education and years of experience (2017-2018 School Year/ 210-day contract)
SHIFT: Monday-Friday, and Weekends when needed; flexible hours required
OPENING DATE: 03/22/17
CLOSING DATE: 04/04/17
CLASSIFICATION #: N/A
GROUP #: N/A
Veterans: Compare this position to military occupations (MOS) at the Texas State Auditor’s Office by pasting this link into your browser.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assists in developing new formats for providing short-term and summer programs
- Assists in developing curriculum for new short-term and summer classes
- Assists in planning and preparing for short-term and summer classes
- Teaches in short-term program classes
- Assists in coordinating summer programs
- Assists in developing surveys, reports, and dissemination documents related to programs
- Interfaces with local schools and with parents to establish effective programs for individual students before students attend a class and to provide transition follow-up after classes are completed
- Performs regular and special assignments effectively, and adheres to all departmental and school policies and procedures
- Utilizes equipment and facilities in the most effective manner to support the instructional program
- Promotes positive relations through effective communication and involvement with TSBVI staff, local school districts, families, other agencies, and community members, to meet student and programmatic needs
- Utilizes professional instructional approaches to assist students in learning
- Attends work regularly in accordance with TSBVI leave policy
- Complies with all agency policies and procedures
- Performs related work as assigned
- Principal of Short-Term Programs
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university [Applicant selected for hire will be required to submit a copy of college or university transcript(s)]
- Must have Teacher of Students with Visual Impairments supplemental certification (TVI)
- Two years full-time experience as a teacher of record working with visually impaired students
- Skill in working closely with other professionals
- Master’s degree in Education, Visual Impairments or a related field
- Experience working with academic level students at various grade levels, including adapted technology, literacy, math tools and low vision adaptations
- Experience serving visually impaired students in their local school districts
- Knowledge of various screen-readers including JAWS, NVDA and Voiceover
- Ability to quickly learn new technology and teach students in its use Willingness to teach some classes via distance learning platforms
TO APPLY: Applicants should complete the State of TX employment application, which can be obtained in person, or by contacting HR to request it by mail or fax, or by downloading it from our web site at www.tsbvi.edu/human-resources. Applications are accepted Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The closing date indicates the minimum length of time a vacancy must be posted; the position may remain open beyond the closing date if the hiring department has not received a sufficient number of applicants. Applications must be received in the HR office by 5PM on the closing date.