Families are at the heart of creating enriched learning opportunities for children with visual impairments, including those children with deafblindness or multiple disabilities. Families are the guiding force behind all life decisions for the child or youth with visual impairments. To help families become confident and effective, we provide information, connections, and training to fit their individual styles. We partner with state and national family organizations, education service centers, and other state agencies to provide a variety of services to support families within their communities.
Families are welcomed to connect with a family engagement specialist to:
- Talk about family matters, including their child’s community involvement, school program, and related supports.
- Request training on a variety of topics related to having children with visual impairments
- Explore Family Leadership Training (insert link to a video)
- Request financial assistance to participate in training, including funding for travel, lodging, registration, childcare, and meals.
- Learn more about special education, visual impairments, family organizations, Medicaid waivers, resources for transition to adulthood, and other needs.