Chapter 3: Determining the level of support needed by the new professional
Chapter 3 Overview
In this chapter, you will learn about how the needs and concerns of the new professional change over time.
- There are several levels of mastery that a new professional goes through as they gain experience.
- The new professional will have different concerns and needs for support at the different levels of mastery.
- By listening carefully, a mentor may be able to discern the new professional's real concerns.
- By understanding the new professional's real concerns, the mentor can better target support.
- Observation is also an important tool for targeting support.
- Stages of professional development
- Introduction to the Concerns-Based Model
- Expressions which reflect various stages of concern
- Asking questions to determine the level of concern