Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired (TSBVI) serves as a special public school in which students, ages 6 through 21, who are blind, deaf-blind, or visually impaired, including those with additional disabilities, are eligible for consideration for services on the TSBVI campus. It is also a statewide resource to parents of these children and the professionals who serve them, from birth through transition from school.
A Brief History of the Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired
The Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired was established by the Sixth Texas Legislature on August 16, 1856, as The Blind Institute, with five members of the board of trustees appointed by Governor Elisha M. Pease. The location of the first Blind Institute was at the residence of Mr. W. L. Hill who leased the premises for the purpose of establishing a school for the blind. Dr. S. W. Baker, family doctor and close personal friend of Governor Pease, was the first superintendent. By 1857, three students were in attendance with one student being 25 years of age at the time of his admittance to The Blind Institute. Parents of the students paid tuition and expenses but, as needed, the tuition and expenses of the students were met by the Institute.
Originally, students were expected to work while at the Institute, making brooms and other marketable products.