Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired (TSBVI)
Announcements, News & Current Events
- Persons with disabilities can receive access to free Web and Digital Accessibility Courses from Deque University for one year! If you are interested in web or application design and development and have a disability, this is an offer that you will not want to miss. Learn more.
- Registration is now open for the 2016 National Braille Association (NBA) Professional Development Conference in St. Louis, Missouri. The conference will be held October 27-29 and will be the ONLY conference hosted by NBA this year. Get details and register today!
- Free to the public. TSBVI presents "Check Please", by Jonathan Rand. TSBVI Fine Arts Department presents Jonathan Rand's trio of one-act plays about strange encounters of the dating kind. "Check Please" follows a series of first dinner dates that couldn't get any worse - until they do. Dating can be hard. Especially when your date happens to be a raging kleptomaniac, or your grandmother's bridge partner, or a mime. Guy and Girl are forced by their well-intentioned best friends to plunge back into the dating pool. Unfortunately that pool is filled with foot-reading psychics, a vote-starved politician, a wannabe rock star, and extreme accountants. And pirates. Showtimes: 1 p.m. Thursday, May 19th and 7 p.m. Friday, May 20th and Saturday, May 21st. Facebook Event Page - EventBrite Ticket Reservations
- Online Nemeth Braille Input / Output Using Content MathML, by Samuel S. Dooley, Susan Osterhaus, Dan Brown, Edgar Lozano and Su H. Park, won the Web For All 2016 TPG Web Accessibility Challenge Judges Award! Congratulations, team!
- Don't miss this event! 2016 Texas Focus Conference will be held on June 17th and 18th at the Arlington Hilton Hotel in Arlington, TX. Registration is now open. Special keynote speakers include Carol Kranowitz, author of The Out-of-Sync Child, the popular book on sensory integration dysfunction written for parents and educators and Dr. Lotfi Merabet, Associate Professor of Ophthalmology,The Laboratory for Visual Neuroplasticity, Harvard Medical School discussing scientific evidence regarding the relationship between the brain and behavior in individuals with visual impairments. This event also includes over fifteen speakers with presentations on a wide variety of topics. Registration and travel assistance is available to families of Texas students with visual impairments or deafblindness.
- Space Camp for Interested Visually Impaired Students (SCIVIS) Registration is OPEN!
- H-E-B announces the availability of talking prescription labels for customers who are blind or visually impaired.
- Skyward Family Access, a web-based method for parents to access their student's school information, is now available!
- FYI - from our friends at American Foundation for the Blind (AFB): H.R. 3535 The Alice Cogswell and Anne Sullivan Macy Act Introduced
- The Texas Unified English Braille Transition Plan has been released. (Posted 08/25/15)
- 2015-2016 School Calendar in Word and PDF formats.
- Sordoceguera_Información en Español
For additional articles and resources that have been featured on our home page, visit the Home Page Archive.