Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired (TSBVI)
Announcements, News & Current Events
- TSBVI sincerely thanks the family of Robert D. Binkley (1948-2015) for the donation of low vision equipment used by their dad. Robert was a Vietnam Vet who earned the Vietnam Service Medal with two Bronze Service Stars; the National Defense Service Medal; the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal; the Army Commendation Medal, and Sharp Shooter. He was active in the Central Texas Patriot Guard Riders.
- Calling All VI Professionals!--Take a quick tech training survey
AFB invites you to take part in an online survey to help all of us better assess what professionals in our field need, where current gaps in knowledge exist, and how we can respond to these challenges. Any and all professionals working with people with vision loss of any age are welcome and encouraged to participate in this survey. As a thank you for completing the survey, you will have the option of entering an AFB drawing to win your choice of book from AFB Press (up to a $60 value). There will be two lucky winners!
- Pamela Darden is TSBVI's new Chief Financial Officer. Pam comes to TSBVI with years of state service and currently serves as the CFO for the Texas Military Department. Her first day will be on February 22. Pam was the clear choice of the interview committee and was among 8 strong applicants that received interviews. We are pleased that Barney Schulz has agreed to stay on a part time basis during the transition.
- 2016 Texas Focus Conference will be held on June 17th and 18th at the Arlington Hilton Hotel in Arlington, TX. Registration begins in March.
- The Austin Blind Cafe - a mind bending and heart opening experience where the audience indulges in a vegan sensory tasting experience prepared by a local chef, participates in a Q&A with their blind wait staff, and enjoys a concert of original music all in the pitch dark - returns to Austin in 2016
- H-E-B announces the availability of talking prescription labels for customers who are blind or visually impaired.
- Skyward Family Access, a web-based method for parents to access their student's school information, is now available!
- TSBVI employee Patti Robinson was awarded the RecognizeGood Legend Award for her work with the student LEO club, an affiliate of Lions International, and her volunteer involvement with many community organizations. You can “Say Thanks” to Patti with a vote a day to win $10,000 for All Blind Children of Texas! Your vote counts. Vote today!
- FYI - from our friends at AFB: H.R. 3535 The Alice Cogswell and Anne Sullivan Macy Act Introduced
- The Texas Unified English Braille Transition Plan has been released. (Posted 08/25/15)
- 2015-2016 School Calendar in Word and PDF formats.
- Sordoceguera_Información en Español
For additional articles and resources that have been featured on our home page, visit the Home Page Archive.