Welcome to Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired
Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired (TSBVI) serves as a special public school in the continuum of statewide placements for students who have a visual impairment. Students, ages 6 through 21, who are blind, deafblind, or visually impaired, including those with additional disabilities, are eligible for consideration for services on the TSBVI campus. It is also a statewide resource to parents of these children and the professionals who serve them, from birth through transition from school.
The other major divisions of TSBVI are: School and Student Services (student admissions and records); the Business, Operations and Technology Division (budgeting, accounting, purchasing, payroll, supply warehouse, maintenance, food service, security, transportation, duplication and technology); and Executive Administration (superintendent's office, human resources, curriculum, legal, internal audit and risk management).
Letters from Santa
The National Federation of the Blind, with the help of the NFB Jernigan Institute, is sending letters to blind children under the age of 10 in the United States. Register before December 19, 2014 to receive a letter.
Announcements & Current Events
- 12/12/14 The new website is online! As we complete the transition to the new system this month, a Webmaster's Update page will be available to share our progress and announce new features.
- 12/02/14 Save the Date: April 14-15, 2015 - National POSB Math / Science Institute. Download information and registration.
- Nationally sponsored family phone calls
- A series of nationally sponsored family phone calls, free to families, conducted in Spanish are currently being presented. One is for families with children who have hearing and vision problems and one is specifically for families of children with CHARGE. Llamada de Familia-a-Familia con Niños con el Síndrome de CHARGE
- Se presenta en la actualidad una serie de llamadas telefónicas de la familia patrocinados a nivel nacional, llevado a cabo en español y gratis para las familias. Uno es para familias con niños que tienen problemas de audición y problemas de visión y uno es específicamente para las familias de niños con CHARGE. Llamada de Familia-a-Familia
New Additions to the Site
- 12/04/14 2013-14 TSBVI Annual Report PDF and DOC
- 10/22/14 Format Update (Originally Posted 9/19/2014) Q&A: ECC instruction and O&M evaluations - DRAFT GUIDANCE PENDING FINAL RULE ADOPTION
- 10/10/14 Visual Impairment Scale of Service Intensity of Texas (VISSIT) site features innovative tools to help TVIs determine recommendations for type and amount of service to students.
- 10/07/14 Functional Vision Evaluation Checklist for Preverbal and Nonverbal Children - (DOC 143KB)
- 09/25/14 Parent Companion - A guide for Texas parents and caregivers of children with diagnosed or suspected disabilities from birth through 5 years of age.
- 2014 Educating Students with Visual Impairments in Texas: Guidelines and Standard
- 2014 La Educación de Estudiantes con Impedimentos Visuales en Texas: Guías y Normas